Lei Zhang is a senior applied researcher in the Bing multimedia search team, working on web-scale image analysis and search problems.
Before moving to Bing in June 2013, Lei was a senior researcher in the Web Search & Mining Group at Microsoft Research Asia, and led a research team working on image search, Internet vision and information retrieval. Projects include automatic image annotation by search, large scale visual search and indexing, sketch-based image search, website structure analysis, and travel search.
Lei is a senior IEEE member and a senior ACM member, and has served as editorial board members for Multimedia System Journal, as program co-chairs, area chairs, or committee members for many top conferences. He is the author or co-author of 100+ published papers in fields such as multimedia, computer vision, web search and information retrieval, and holds 20+ U.S. patents for his innovation in these fields.
Lei earned all his degrees (B.E., M.E., and Ph.D) in Computer Science from Tsinghua University, and currently also holds an adjunct professor position in Tianjin University.
- Arista (lARge-scale Image Search To Annotation)Arista is a data-driven image annotation system, which annotates an image based on large-scale image search. Its assumption is that close similar images share similar semantics. It targets at a practical image annotation engine which is able to automatically annotate images of any popular concepts. Starting from 2006, Arista is now able to perform online tagging based on 2 billion web images leveraging near-duplicate detection technique.
- Picto: A large scale visual indexing and recognition systemIn this project, we focus on developing algorithms for large-scale image indexing and recognition. Our research covers low-level image features, middle level image representations, and indexing and ranking algorithms.
- MindFinder: Finding Images by SketchingSketch-based image search is a well-known and difficult problem, in which little progress has been made in the past decade in developing a large-scale and practical sketch-based search engine. We have revisited this problem and developed a scalable solution to sketch-based image search. The MindFinder system has been built by indexing more than two million web images to enable efficient sketch-based image retrieval, and many creative applications can be expected to advance the state of the art.
- Website Structure Understanding and its ApplicationsWebsite structure understanding can be treated as a reverse engineering for the purpose of automatically discovering the layout templates and URL patterns of a website, and understanding how these templates and patterns are integrated to organize the website. The study of this problem has had a great impact to many applications which can leverage such site-level knowledge to help web search and data mining.
- Travel GuideThe Travel Guide project has the following mission: Showcase innovations to help users better plan, enjoy, and share their travel experiences. During this process, we transfer technologies to product teams, and drive further research from lessons learned in real world deployment. currently the service is limited to China area, http://travel.msra.cn (in Chinese).