To invent & research technologies that make Microsoft’s networks, services and devices indispensable to the world
The Mobility and Networking Research (MNR) Group focusses on basic and applied research in all areas related to networked systems and mobile computing. Researchers build proof-of-concept systems, engage with academia, publish scientific papers, publish software for the research community, and transfer cutting-edge technologies to Microsoft’s product groups.
Hosting Blazing Fast Services: From 1 Core to 1M Cores (July 15, 2013)
New Directions in Wireless Systems Design (May 30, 2013)
Three papers accepted in UbiComm 2013 (May 8, 2013)
Seven papers accepted in SIGCOMM 2013 (April 26, 2013)
Victor received SIGMOBILE Outstanding Contributions Award 2013 (April 12, 2013)
Three papers accepted in MobiSys 2013 (March 10, 2013)
Check out our contributions to Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 (Oct. 29, 2012)
New Directions in Networked Systems Design (Oct. 31, 2012)
|Bahl Achieves Alma Mater’s Distinction
|A Wireless Road Around Data Traffic Jams
|Tuning Smartphone Performance
|Using Wi-Fi to Boost 3G Capacity
|Providing Private Packet Analysis
|Trying to Cure PC Insomnia
|Bringing Agility to Data-Center Networks
Hiring: We are always on the look out for both senior and fresh graduates. If you are interested and would like to apply for a position please fill out an application via our central site.
Product group impact comes in many forms - consultation, design wins, code transfer, people transfer etc. Here are some examples:
- Mileage data attribution to Windows Phone 8
- NetPilot to Bing
- Virtual Wi-Fi in Windows 7
- Partitioning and Recovery Service in Live Mesh
- Centrifuge/PRS in Windows Live Messenger
- DNS optimization in Bing
""We focus on inventing highly efficient networked systems and new end-user mobile experiences. We go after hard unsolved problems by embarking on high-risk, high-reward projects where success is not guaranteed. Our goal is to move the dial and pave new paths for the research community and to have a positive impact on Microsoft products while having lots of fun along the way."
Victor Bahl, Research Manager, Mobility & Networking
Sample Technology Licensing
Visit www.microsoft.com/iplicensing for licensing information.
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Hot Spot Network Access: Package includes five technologies: Global Authentication; Network Admission; Traffic Gateway; Client Module and Policy Manager.
Wi-Fi Location Determination: Technology to locate a wireless client by pattern matching the measured signal strength from multiple wireless access points against a database of previously collected signal strength.
- Cellphone Power Management: Technology that leverages the cellular radio to wake-up the Wi-Fi radio on SmartPhones, Laptops, and NetBooks.
- Virtual WiFi: Technology that abstracts a single Wireless LAN card to appear as multiple virtual Wireless LAN cards to the user/OS.
- Mesh Connectivity: Ad-hoc routing and link quality measurement for mesh networks as a loadable software driver.
- Undelivered or Delayed e-mail Notification System: An alerting technology for users when e-mails sent to them have been delayed or lost.
High Performance Internet Connectivity in Moving Vehicles A set of protocols, algorithms, and mechanisms that enable moving clients to transmit data packets on the wireless link that offers the fastest delivery, which minimizes application traffic delays..
- Fast Wi-Fi Hand-off to Diversified Base Stations: Technology that opportunistically exploits base station diversity to minimize connection disruptions while supporting interactive applications for moving Wi-FI enabled clients.
- Smart Antenna: Low cost directional antenna technology designed for increasing the range, throughput, and consistency of 802.11 networks
- Victor received SIGMOBILE Outstanding Contributions Award 2013
- Victor honored with the University of Massachusetts Distinguished Alumni Award 2012
- Victor and Ming win the FCC Grand Challenge Open Internet Application and FCC People Choice Awards (2011)
- Sharad elevated to IEEE Senior Member and ACM Senior member
- Victor elevated to AAAS Fellow (2010)
Don’t know what's draining your phone’s battery or your data plan? Mileage will pinpoint the hogs!
Keep your dirty hands to yourself! This audio cookbook app reads out recipes, and responds to simple voice commands for navigation, so you never have to touch the phone while cooking.
- Hawaii SDK
- Broom Tool Kit to Unbias Network Measurements
- Microsoft Research TCP Analyzer (x64)
- Microsoft Research TCP Analyzer (x86)
- ELDA (E-mail Loss-Detection Add-in)
- Microsoft Research Virtual WiFi
- Mesh Connectivity Layer Source
- MSR IPv6 Source Code
- MSR IPv6 Tunnel Broker
- MSR IPv6/IPv4 Translator
- SkipNet and applications
Connect with Us
- Find us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
Mobility & Networking Research Group
One Microsoft Way, Bldg. 99
Redmond, WA 98052-6399, USA